Friday, January 15, 2010

Assistance Programs and Budgeting

Well, I am just wanting to let people out there know that you should never be too proud for Assistance Programs. When I found out that we qualified for Piper to be on AR Kids and for us to be on WIC I will admit that I was too proud to join in. Oh how that has changed. These programs are there for a reason. As I now see it (well, my mom and sister gave me a swift kick in the rear) I have paid my taxes and my husband still does so lets use what we have been paying for since we were both 15 years old.

I am no longer too proud to ask for assistance if it will make life easier with our TIGHT budget. We are only on one income now and things are really tight. When I told Josh that I was going to stay home we had a few loans that we were paying on.....truck, computer, and dirtbike. We managed to pay them all off by the time Piper was 1 month old. It was so refreshing to get rid of those payments without getting rid of the item. The saying is that 1 year before having a child you should live off of 1 income (the one who will not be staying home) in order to see if you can make it. The other income should be put into a savings account. Josh and I were doing this without even realizing it. It has made all the difference because we used that to payoff loans.

Well, that's it for the technical stuff. I just felt like saying a little bit to let people know not to be afraid if your budget gets too small because if you qualify to get a little bit of help...use it.

No comments: